Thursday, June 2, 2011

Red Velvet Donuts

Yesterday I made a few red velvet donuts. Hubby bought me a donut pan for my birthday so I wanted to try it out. I made 6 yesterday and 10 today. Recipe was from The Velveteen Baker, which was modified from Sprinkles Bakes.

My first batch wasn't all that great looking. I guess it's cause I made 1/4 of the glaze. I thought 1/2 would be too much for just 6 donuts. Nope, I was so wrong. Well anyways. The rest of the batch came out better. I added some pecans on few of them and it tasted great.



Red Velvet Donuts [Adapted From The Velveteen Baker]

For the Donut Batter:
2 c all purpose flour, sifted
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp red food coloring
1 tbsp natural cocoa powder, not dutch-processed
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. butter, melted (I didn't have butter so I used canola oil instead)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. In large mixing bowl, sift together all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a paste with the cocoa and red food coloring. Add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, butter and red paste mixture and beat until just combined.

Fill each donut cup approximately 3/4 of the way full. Bake 5-8 minutes or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for 4–5 minutes before removing. Finish donuts with vanilla glaze. Donuts are best served fresh.

For the Vanilla Glaze:
2 tbsp hot water
2 cup confectioner’ s sugar
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pecans, to garnish (optional)

In small bowl, stir together all ingredients until sugar is completely dissolved. Use immediately to glaze donuts. You can either toss them in or dip just the tops. If the glaze starts to harden you can add more hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment